Thursday, March 20, 2008

Grandpa

Hey everyone,
I dont have the greatest news. My Grandpa, Dad's dad, has been suffering from liver disease for a while now. He didnt look very good before Christmas and went to Texas as he always does for winter. My dad had to go bring him home a couple of weeks ago because he is not doing well at all. He has lost so much weight and doenst have much energy. We went home this past weekend for the St. Patty's parade and during the visit home we got a call that he was going to the ER via ambulance. When we went to see him, he looked bad... real bad.
I have been an emotional mess ever since. The doctors have decided he will not be going home, and that it is now time for Hospice. They have signed DNR papers and now have taken him off all meds except for pain. They are saying it can be anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks.

Although this is very hard on us emotionally, I have to try and believe that he is going to a better place where he will no longer be in pain. I told Kathryn that we have to look at this as a gift from God, as it is not all that often that you have notice that someone is passing and you get that chance to say goodbye. Right now Grandpa is concious and aware of what is going on so we will be taking the kids home tonight to give him their love and goodbyes.
Kathryn painted him a picture of fishing as that was her and his thing to do.
Ashlyn wanted to paint too, so she finger painted him a picture.
Brandon has been working very hard on his school report on the state of Kentucky, and wants to give Grandpa his speech. Grandpa has always been very proud of their school work and has always encouraged them to do their best.

There is not much else to say.
Please pray for peace and comfort for my Grandpa.
He will truely be missed by his 3 children, his 3 children in laws (?) his 7 grandkids, his 13 great grandchildren, his extended family, and his friends.

I love you Grandpa !!
Shel

1 comment:

Misty said...

I'm so sad to hear that things are not going well. I feel so blessed that I had the opportunity to visit with them when they came through Hope on their way to Texas. I've always had a special love for them as they were always so close with my grandparents. Please know that the entire family is in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep me posted. I love you all!

Misty