Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Not a good day

Last night our Great Dane Capone bit Ashlyn in the face.
Dont worry she is ok.
Im mortified.
If it were about his food, we would understand because he gets nervous when the kids come around his food. But he had her doll and when she went to take it, he snapped one snap and it got her in the face. We took her to the ER and she had 5 puntures that didnt require any stitches, but he also got the corner of her mouth and that required 3 stitches. Im beside myself with sadness. Sadness that my poor little girl got bit, sadness that it hurt and she had to get stitches, sadness that she flintches when he is anywhere near her.. Dont worry he's locked in the laundry room and is only let out to go potty and eat.... But its not like he's an aggressive bully dog. He's a big lover, he's still a puppy, he's just trying to restablish were he ranks in the family. This is normal, and if he were a small dog he wouldnt have even broken the skin. But he's too big to take chances, and Chris is putting him down after the 10 day quarantine. There is no choice here, I understand and realize that we cant keep a dog who bits, but Im also really sad... he's MY dog. He was my mother's day gift, and I love him so much. He never is like this with me or Chris, and he loves all people who come to the house, he's even great with the kids when we are around. He just thinks he is the boss when we are not around, and thats not acceptable. Im so sad.

Shel

2 comments:

Graycesmomma said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear that! I know it has to be hard but I think you are doing the right thing. I hope Ashlyn heals quickly!

Creatively Ewe said...

I am so sorry you have to make this choice. I agree its probably the right choice, but it still stinks.

I hope that Ash continues to heal well. HUGS!