Saturday, June 28, 2008

Im the biggest idiot !! OMG

So Chris' work had a outing at Lincoln Park Zoo today.
I love going to Orbitz outings because they always have free food, free drinks, and prizes and everyone is always so friendly. Well, a while ago Chris sent me this Email about Orbitz Pride Picnic at Lincoln Park Zoo. I said, hey that sounds fun lets go. So he RSVP'd us. Well, we have Katey's friend Lexi up for the weekend and thought she would enjoy coming with us and hanging out at the zoo.
So we get there and fill out our name tags and this guy hands Chris and I stickers that say.
"Out at work, Equal Oppertunity".
I sit down and laugh cuz todays not a work day, why does it matter if you are Out at work on a nonwork day. THEN IT HIT ME!! OMG Chris, is this Gay Pride? He smiles and says yeah, didnt you get the Email? And I said, well yeah, but it said Pride at work, I thought it ment, Yeah, I work for Orbitz. He laughed at me. Now Chris and I are totally open to the whole Gay and Lesbian thing and even have friends who are Gay, but I was just surprised that we had now taken our daughters friend to this function and not explained to the kids, or her parents what it was about. I was waiting for Chris to get back from getting some food, so we could explain to the kids what was going on, and before he gets back they lady takes the mic and starts talking about Gay's, Lesbians, and Transgenders having Pride at the workplace.... both girls, who are coloring masks, stop and look up and me and in unison say WHAT?? I give them a stern look and said, just go with it. They with a confused look on their faces say ok. Chris comes back, I told him what happened, he laughed and took all 3 big kids over to the side to have a little talk. Lexi came back and whispered to me, its no big deal my Uncle is gay. I snuck in a call to her mother to make sure everything was ok and she laughed really hard at my mistake. I just didnt want to make any decisions for someone else's kids. Luckily Lexi's mom felt the same way I do, and we think that it does kids good to be exposed to many different life experiences.
Now with all that out of the way, we enjoyed our company, enjoyed our food and even won 2 raffles. Katey won a I Quest, and Chris won a Fly Pen. Both are really cool toys.
Then we got to pet a snake, bigger than Charlie, and a turtle. Of course our kids bragged about owning their own snake, a corn snake named Charlie. Then we walked around the zoo and then we walked across Lake Shore Drive to North Beach. We waded in the water for a bit, built a sand arch, and then scrambled to the car in the pouring rain.
Ahhhh what a day.

Shel

No comments: